- Qualities of Movement
- Vocal Warmup
- I didn’t really have much business today, but I checked in with everybody to see how their first day of classes went. Everybody, including myself, was a little tired and a little deflated.
- Meditation was very good today. Our stretches were a little tougher than usual because everyone was so tense, so I spent extra time on each movement, trying to encourage deep stretches. I actually layer down for meditation today because I was feeling very blocked and very tight. It was helpful to lie down and physically relax myself along with the cast and stage manager because I emerged from the meditation with a renewed purpose and a glowing sense of positivity.
- Every day Eric and Tom, improve and specify their qualities of movement. Tom has really been investing in exploring different rhythms of flying and the unpredictability is having positive effects on his performance. Eric is adding more and more radiating power into his movements and especially into his psychological gesture. I’ve actually seen him use his gesture a number of times in different iterations during blocking.
- Vocal warm up was a little concerning. I’m really stressing to Tom and Eric the necessity of protecting their voice inside and outside of rehearsal. Tom’s voice seems to be doing well despite the fact that he has been getting over a cold. However, I’m really worried about Eric’s voice. It is very hoarse and breaks whenever he tries to move into a higher register. I told him not to worry about projection for now because I don’t want him to damage it further, but their performance is very quiet currently, and that will not work while they’re outside. Hopefully, he takes my advice and rests up tomorrow night when we don’t have rehearsal, and we can work on exploring volume and vocal variety on thursday.
- Blocking was much more encouraging today. The cast definitely spent some time with their lines last night and it showed in how much smoother the run was. Because of this, I was also able to dig much deeper into some of the specifics of the scenes. Both of them are doing a really good job of crafting their own little moments, but I am occasionally having difficulty getting them to make some of the changes I want. However, this could be my fault for not clearly expressing exactly what it is I want them to do. Either way,Every day is a massive improvement, and I can’t ask for much more than that.
I am excited to continue working on the show on Thursday!